To be a Taoist means many things to many people. To be a practitioner of Contemporary Taoism simply means to have realised that we are all minute parts of an indescribably large Whole (the Tao), and to choose therefore to 'Flow Like Water' and live in a spontaneous, natural manner. This blog is about: Personal Growth / Spiritual Development as guided by the principles of Eastern Philosophy, particularly modern philosophical Taoism; Developing constructive habits and achieving success with minimal effort; Meditation - Taoist, Zen or otherwise. See 'What In Lao Tzu's Name is a Contemporary Taoist?'

Friday, April 06, 2007

Understanding the Tao

Understanding the Tao is like trying to fit the ocean in a teacup

This article by the ever clever Scott Adams, reminds me of this post, Everything is Appropriate that I made to a website called Tao Bums ages ago. I hadn't looked at in a while, but it seems that since I have the article has inspired some civilised discussion.

I first saw the phrase 'everything is appropriate' back in the spring of 1998 when I walked into the office of a vegetarian hippy cafe, called Feedwell Cafe, on Greville Street in Prahran, Melbourne that I had just begun working at. The owner manager, a lovely older gentleman called Alan, had it scribbled on his white board. That was all he had on his whiteboard: Everything is Appropriate. I was struck by the apparent nonsense of this phrase and questioned it. Alan said nothing much about it, only that it was true. A chef present grumbled something about how 'it wouldn't be very appropriate if somebody walked into the cafe and began chopping off people's heads with an axe, would it', and thus a train of thought began in my mind that took a couple of years to resolve. This was just before the time that I started to explore meditation and Eastern philosophy, instead of just self-annihilation and hedonism (which I also kept up for a fair while afterwards though I must confess).

Anyway gotta go and push a wheelbarrow.

Flow like water...


Check out my Contemporary Taoist print articles online at LivingNow magazine's website.


Download my free music here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Who Links Here