To be a Taoist means many things to many people. To be a practitioner of Contemporary Taoism simply means to have realised that we are all minute parts of an indescribably large Whole (the Tao), and to choose therefore to 'Flow Like Water' and live in a spontaneous, natural manner. This blog is about: Personal Growth / Spiritual Development as guided by the principles of Eastern Philosophy, particularly modern philosophical Taoism; Developing constructive habits and achieving success with minimal effort; Meditation - Taoist, Zen or otherwise. See 'What In Lao Tzu's Name is a Contemporary Taoist?'

Sunday, June 11, 2006

What's Wrong With Me?

Ever asked yourself that? I know I have :) but look - the answer to that question is NOTHING! There is nothing wrong with you dude!

You are a human and humans don't just feel great all the time - humans feel all kinds of emotions including the unpleasant ones. Humans make mistakes, they regret there actions, they lose their temper, they get drunk, they spend too much money on stupid things, they hurt themselves and the ones they love.

Normal.

All of this is completely normal and I want you to know right now that you don't need to be a super-disciplined self-help guru to be happy! You don't need to try and be perfect - YOU ALREADY ARE PERFECT! Even your so-called flaws, even those things that you want to change about yourself - these things are all perfect. That doesn't mean you can't implement positive change in your life - but meanwhile stop giving yourself a hard time TODAY!

I have been a little quiet this week in terms of blogging - and as usual this was not because I was 'doing nothing' (as much as I recommend that!) but because I have been T-H-I-N-K-I-N-G! I am about to launch a whole new arm of my meditation and personal development monster and this is precisely the thrust - you don't have to be hardcore to be happy! You can learn simple easy ideas and techniques to be consistently happy for the majority of your life and to be 'okay with it' when you're feeling shit. Full stop.

Warning: plot spoiler ahead!

I have come a full circle. I have been like that dude in the Alchemist by Paulo Cohelo who goes looking for the treasure or whatever only to find out that it was right where he was all along. Most of us know that going full-tilt into a life of non-stop partying and self-gratification doesn't make you happy - and now I have come to the conclusion (epiphany more like it) that you don't need to be the world's most self-disciplined puritanical yoga health guru to be happy. Forget about it! You'll just do what I did for a little while (quite recently and on-and-off for years) and make yourself miserable every time you let yourself down - forget expectations of becoming perfect - and realise that you are perfect now!

And if you find that hard to do then stick with me over the next couple of months because I'm gonna show you just how easy it is to be the most totally chilled out dude on the block. And I am 100% for real about that.

Meanwhile here is the article that helped me to remember what I sat down to blog about two hours ago (I got distracted and wound up surfing on a wave of electric light through the infosphere!)

All power to Pamela Slim - she gets it. She knows what you need to know - that there is nothing wrong with you. Amen!

Flow Like Water...


Join me for a meditation workshop!

Download my free music here.
Categories: , , , , ,

8 Comments:

Blogger Ed Bremson, MFA said...

Thanks for visiting my blog. I've been looking around here at the Contemporary Taoist and I like what I see. Taoism is really great. It allows the individual to really actualize himself. It provides a template, as it were, for actualization.

FYI, You may be interested in this: earlier this year, on The Tao of Politics (http://taoofpolitics.blogspot.com)I published The Tao of Bird Flu over a period of 5 or 6 weeks.

Keep up the good work. I'll be back to visit again.
Ed

12:20 am

 
Blogger Seamus "Moose" Anthony said...

Thanks Ed

you sure have an eclectic range of blogs happening out there! Rock on dude!

10:50 am

 
Blogger A.V. Michaels said...

I can't help think of Buddha, who left his family to find enlightenment, and when he returned some dozen years later admitted he could have found what he was looking for right at home...he realized the truth was simple, not complicated...anyway, enjoyed your post.

2:28 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Seamus, thanks so much for writing that. It was just what I needed right now. big hugs
xo Pippa

4:34 am

 
Blogger They call him James Ure said...

Thank-you for this post. It is a great reminder to not be so hard on myself that I need to be reminded of right now in my life.

Go in peace.

Namaste.

5:17 am

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I couldn't agree more with James, excellent excellent post. So human and so real.

Experiencing the now in your life can sometimes prove difficult, but I often find that when I look to an unknown future, it is at those times that bring me the most despair. Truly experiencing the now and appreciating it can really ground you and keep you focused.

11:47 am

 
Blogger Seamus "Moose" Anthony said...

Thanks yo'll. Personally I am really high on the concept again right now, even though I've been into self-acceptance for a long time I have had a tendency to judge my actions way way too much. it is an important skill to learn - to accept yourself - truly - warts and all.

Not that I actually HAVE warts mind you ;)

1:39 pm

 
Blogger Mx Bex said...

hi

wonderful post, really really spot on :) thanks for linking to my blog, i've also linked to yours now :) and posted its URL at the Tea house Taoist dicussion forum as i know some of the members will love it also.
munchkin/becca

9:57 am

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Who Links Here