To be a Taoist means many things to many people. To be a practitioner of Contemporary Taoism simply means to have realised that we are all minute parts of an indescribably large Whole (the Tao), and to choose therefore to 'Flow Like Water' and live in a spontaneous, natural manner. This blog is about: Personal Growth / Spiritual Development as guided by the principles of Eastern Philosophy, particularly modern philosophical Taoism; Developing constructive habits and achieving success with minimal effort; Meditation - Taoist, Zen or otherwise. See 'What In Lao Tzu's Name is a Contemporary Taoist?'

Thursday, May 18, 2006

Tao of Thinking

I have been doing my affirmations each morning in the car, which leads me to a funny story...

I was driving to work yesterday, trying to get my affirmations done. I open my folder and place it on the passenger seat and as the traffic is usually so heavy I read a new line every time the I have to stop and then repeat it a couple of times. This has been a great help in alleviating the boredom of the stop-start traffic blues right?

Yesterday for some reason the traffic was really light and I was hardly having to stop at all, just for the odd traffic light here and there. This would usually make me happy as Larry, but for just one moment I got slightly annoyed because I wasn't geting through my affirmations and work was rapidly approaching. I didn't actually articulate this thought, and indeed I think I was just formulating the counter-thought 'oh well, I'll just do them in the car before going into the office,' when...

I turned the bend and there it was, miles of bumper-to-bumper go-nowhere traffic jam. Road works. It took me twenty minutes to cover the next stretch that usually takes me two!

You have to be careful what you think!

I am now making a habit of catching all the negative things that I say to myself and transmuting them into positives. Once your reticular activating system is looking out for the nasty thoughts, it is surprising how much self-defeating crap we (me anyway) tell ourselves from moment to moment.

Anyway, speaking of work, got to fly - or rather...



Flow Like Water...


Download out my free music here!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Who Links Here