To be a Taoist means many things to many people. To be a practitioner of Contemporary Taoism simply means to have realised that we are all minute parts of an indescribably large Whole (the Tao), and to choose therefore to 'Flow Like Water' and live in a spontaneous, natural manner. This blog is about: Personal Growth / Spiritual Development as guided by the principles of Eastern Philosophy, particularly modern philosophical Taoism; Developing constructive habits and achieving success with minimal effort; Meditation - Taoist, Zen or otherwise. See 'What In Lao Tzu's Name is a Contemporary Taoist?'

Sunday, May 28, 2006

Tao of Jogging

I was just reading this at Lifehacker about motivating yourself to exercise. Here's my tip, it's probably not very original but it does the trick.

I always visualise myself fit and healthy - the results of making the effort. If I am feeling lazy, I visualise the results of that: being fat and totally unsexy. That usually gets me out of bed and out the door.

Also I do it in the morning (after meditating) so that I get to work psychologically pumped because I've already had a win.

The mornings are so cold here in Melbourne (Australia) at this time of the year. I get up and meditate in front of the heater at just past 5am, then I do Chi Gung. Then me and the dog go for a jog.

It is usually still dark and there are only a few others out and about - fellow nutjobs! It is so cold my hands hurt so I shake them as I run. The dog, Dude, carves up the grass like a race horse while I plod along steadily. The Moon shines down and the fog hovers over the grass. Long shadows of trees and of the solitary man that throws a ball to his dog every morning. I always wonder how he can just stand still like he does when it's so cold. I love mornings, so peaceful and calm...

Anyway, enough poetry - my favourite TV show Criminal Intent is on ;)

Flow Like Water...


Join me for a meditation workshop!

Download my free music here.
Categories: , , , ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Morning are a gorgeous time to get out and get some exercise...it's as if you have the world to yourself for a time before the rest of the neighbourhood wakes up. Not mention that it's a great way to start the day...get the blood flowing while spending some quality time with your doggie, good stuff! :)

9:37 am

 
Blogger Seamus "Moose" Anthony said...

Totally - but for mental health reasons it is important not to berate yourself when (if) you sleep in sometimes. I go by a natural tiredness monitoring system; if I wake up far to tired after five or six hours sleep I leave it until later or even until tommorrow; if I wake up bright eyed and bushy tailed then it's up and at 'em.

But this relies on you knowing the difference between WANTING more sleep and NEEDING more which can be tricky ;)

10:19 am

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Who Links Here