To be a Taoist means many things to many people. To be a practitioner of Contemporary Taoism simply means to have realised that we are all minute parts of an indescribably large Whole (the Tao), and to choose therefore to 'Flow Like Water' and live in a spontaneous, natural manner. This blog is about: Personal Growth / Spiritual Development as guided by the principles of Eastern Philosophy, particularly modern philosophical Taoism; Developing constructive habits and achieving success with minimal effort; Meditation - Taoist, Zen or otherwise. See 'What In Lao Tzu's Name is a Contemporary Taoist?'

Friday, May 26, 2006

Headless Tao and Taoless Head

I like this page.:

"Bare awareness is your root. It is the source and nourishment and support of your world, the absolute at the center of existence. It has never been otherwise. This awareness is not new. It is eternal. It is what you have always been, unchanged since the day you were born and before."
Headless Tao

This passage reminds me to be grateful for awareness itself, the blessing that comes with meditation and reading Taoist (and other) philosophy. In itself it is the ultimate award. It gives you the ability to see yourself and this life if not 100% as they are then at least a whole lot more clearly.

Looking honestly at myself, and thinking back to what I have written here over the last few weeks, I cannot help but be aware of a major theme of duality-thinking in my life. Even though I read (and spout on) about 'flowing like water' I do not always do so.

Of course to worry about whether I flow is to stem my own flow ... ahem ... aaaanywaaaay, my point is that I tend to get caught up in regretting it when I bugger up my plans (to remain sober, to be super-healthy, to achieve more with my time, etc).

Taoism specifically teaches not to worry about the past, now, or the future. And intellectually I know this to be sage advice - but I need to practice this more. Or at least I want to.

Join me for a meditation workshop!

Download my free music here!
Categories: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Who Links Here