To be a Taoist means many things to many people. To be a practitioner of Contemporary Taoism simply means to have realised that we are all minute parts of an indescribably large Whole (the Tao), and to choose therefore to 'Flow Like Water' and live in a spontaneous, natural manner. This blog is about: Personal Growth / Spiritual Development as guided by the principles of Eastern Philosophy, particularly modern philosophical Taoism; Developing constructive habits and achieving success with minimal effort; Meditation - Taoist, Zen or otherwise. See 'What In Lao Tzu's Name is a Contemporary Taoist?'

Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Tao of Rest

I am not particularly inclined towards the mystical, you know, the supernatural side of things. Well, I am in entertainment (novels, movies, etc.), but what I mean is I am a bit cynical about the trippier side of esotericism. I actually wonder why some people are so obsessed with seeking the 'miraculous', something more than what we see every day, when what we see every day is too amazing to even comprehend.

But despite this, there are times when I am reminded that to be purely cynical would be as foolish as to buy into every whimsy out there. Take for example my appreciation for the I Ching. How is it that this oracle can be so spot on so many times? I don't know, but it is uncanny.

This morning I have woken up on the first of three days off, having just completed a number of major projects, and the world is my oyster: no deadlines, no pressing business, no urgency. A truely wonderful state of affairs for a creative dude like me - I can write what I want, sing what I want! BUT, I have gone and caught myself a flu. Great.

Unable to focus on anything much, I asked the ol' I Chinger what I should do today. The answer?

52 - KEEPING STILL, RESTING.

How can it be that a numerical system gets it right time after time?

I don't know, but thank heavens for small miracles. I'm off to read a book in bed.

Flow Like Water...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Who Links Here