To be a Taoist means many things to many people. To be a practitioner of Contemporary Taoism simply means to have realised that we are all minute parts of an indescribably large Whole (the Tao), and to choose therefore to 'Flow Like Water' and live in a spontaneous, natural manner. This blog is about: Personal Growth / Spiritual Development as guided by the principles of Eastern Philosophy, particularly modern philosophical Taoism; Developing constructive habits and achieving success with minimal effort; Meditation - Taoist, Zen or otherwise. See 'What In Lao Tzu's Name is a Contemporary Taoist?'

Wednesday, May 04, 2005

Tao of Conflict

Mmmmmm .... Today I have been met with a strange and rare challenge to my beliefs and standards.

Without boring you all with the details, it will suffice to say that I have become embroiled in a falling out with a close friend.

Now this is something that very very rarely happens in my life - mainly because I go to great lengths to make sure it does not happen. I can actually only think of one other time in my adult life when I have had a problem with a close friend that has resulted in a parting of ways. And even then, it was all a lot more civilised and most likely the relationship would be at least partially redeemable if our paths were to cross again.

But in this instance I feel that I have been unjustifiably pushed and pushed to the brink by my so-called friend and his incredibly selfish, and now downright nasty behaviour. In fact I have never been so insulted in my life.

So that is that, I have tried and tried to make amends (even though - from my perspective of course - I have done nothing wrong), but the friendship is over - kuput. I will not speak to this man again.

But as a follower of the Way - how shall I otherwise respond? My belly is burning with fire and I straight up feel like hunting my stupid ex-mate down and confronting him... but I know this is not the way ...

So I consulted the I Ching. To the question of how I should deal with the situation - it gave me this response.

1) Qian - The Creative - The Emperor (Sublime success, potent Yang energy -
Comprises Heaven over Heaven)

I will not go into too much detail, but suffice to say that I saw in this reading an urging to use this situation to spur me on to great heights, to let my success in life be my revenge.

My changing lines gave me a second hexagram that warned me to go forth with caution and to conduct myself wisely and with dignity.

So be it.

I will not go and scream 'Fuck off you pathetic little maggot!' even though I would like to. Instead I know that one day he will regret his actions, long after I have put the affair out of my mind, and he out of my 'sublimely successful' life.

Flow Like Water, my friends, Around the Rocks...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Who Links Here