To be a Taoist means many things to many people. To be a practitioner of Contemporary Taoism simply means to have realised that we are all minute parts of an indescribably large Whole (the Tao), and to choose therefore to 'Flow Like Water' and live in a spontaneous, natural manner. This blog is about: Personal Growth / Spiritual Development as guided by the principles of Eastern Philosophy, particularly modern philosophical Taoism; Developing constructive habits and achieving success with minimal effort; Meditation - Taoist, Zen or otherwise. See 'What In Lao Tzu's Name is a Contemporary Taoist?'

Thursday, February 03, 2005

Little Raindrop Wakes Up From His Dream.

last night I had a great dream. Here's how it went.


I was a raindrop.

I was falling down through the sky towards the ocean.

It was taking a long time to fall all that way, and as I fell I felt many different emotions,

And thought about many different things.

Looking around, I could see lots of other raindrops falling through the sky also.

Falling.

Falling.

A Little Raindrop in the sky.


Suddenly - I stopped!

I just stopped dead in the sky.

And all the other raindrops stopped too.


Suddenly - I realised that my dream-self had been dreaming!

I woke up from this dream-inside-a-dream

And realised that I was not a raindrop at all!

That I was not falling through the sky towards the ocean!

And that there were no other little raindrops falling through the sky either!

'But if I am not a little raindrop - then what am I?

Who has woken up from this dreaming dream?' I wondered.


Then it dawned on me -

I was the ocean!

I had been asleep on the ocean bed, but now I was awake.


Now I could see that there are no little raindrops,

Just one big ocean that stretches unbroken, all the way to the horizon.

4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Mighty Moose,

There is an analogy in Buddhism -- and is perhaps more widely known -- that we are all the ocean, and that each incarnation is a wave on the ocean. There is another one where each drop of dew reflects the moon -- which speaks to much the same idea. That is, that we are each manifestations of the whole.

Also, Dzogchen, a form of Tibetan Buddhism, has a particular keen interest in dreaming, and realization of "the rainbow body." A rainbow btw is rain's fixed inprint set magnificently in the sky. [I would recommend "Beyond Words: Dzogchen Made Simple," possibly available at your library. The book also talks about lucid dreaming, and suggests this trick to aid lucid dreaming: Try to create the habit of looking at your hands when you dream; you can use this as a totem to alert your 'awake' self that you're dreaming.]

From the book, this:

'My heart leaps up when I behold
A rainbow in the sky:
So was it when my life began;
So be it now I am a man;
So be it when I shall grow old,
Or let me die! ...'

OK. So the dream is a little morbid, and not as cool as yours. But 'to die' means many things -- such as awaking from a dream, or awaking TO a dream.

3:44 pm

 
Blogger Seamus "Moose" Anthony said...

Hey thanks thar ZU - I will make a deliberate effort to think about my hands next time I realise I am dreaming. Although the amount of work I am doing right now, what with starting a new biz and meditation, Qigong, Wing Chun, part time job, detox diet, gigs, recording a cd...suffice to say I mostly sleep pretty soundly and dreamlessly.

Although today when I was getting acupuncture I fell asleep for a moment and dreamt that I slipped up on a banana peel, which made me jerk my legs and arms out. I think it kind of gave my acupuncturist something to giggle about!

9:42 pm

 
Blogger Ole Blue The Heretic said...

Great post! I too often dream of water, but for me, it is more the Zen flow of water around the rock.

Blue

5:14 am

 
Blogger Matt said...

I believe there is a good section in Zen Mind, Beginner's Mind describing drops of water in a water fall, eventually merging after being separated.

Dream on!

1:13 am

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Who Links Here